Friday, May 24, 2013

Week 20 Root Beer Float King & ADA Snag

Just when I thought it was a done deal, a cast member at Sunshine Tree Terrace showed me how wrong I was. Too bad I left my good camera at home, because my phone couldn't capture this monument of ice cream excellence. He presented me with a no-spill, perfectly piled dome that made Disney pricing seem absurdly reasonable. I'm headed back tonight to get an honorary picture since I missed the photo op.

Week 20 was pretty laid back just enjoying Magic Kingdom favorites. My new experiences were trying hummus and chips at Gaston's and pointing out ADA infractions to Guest Services, ahem. Vegans take note that the hummus is Sabra, like you can buy at Walmart. The hummus is plentiful but I wanted more chips. This would make a good snack to stock in your hotel frig or carry in a small cooler if you like to do that. At Gaston's expect to pay $4.00.

ADA SNAG---

I love how Disney accommodates special needs, but there is an issue with the new passes. For many families it won't be a problem at all, but for passholders who have kids who cannot scan their fingers, it may be. Disney no longer overrides and lets those kids through. They want their tickets linked to someone else's finger. Here's the problem. Mom, Dad, 17 year old, 15 year old, 12 year old special need child (adult ticket), and Grandparents all are passholders. Disney links the special needs child to Mom, and now no one else can take the child through the turnstile. Dad can't, and that child's ticket shouldn't be restricted like that. Mom and Dad should have the right to send their child with Grandma or whomever they trust without consulting Disney.

You might wonder why someone couldn't scan a finger. I know children who would not understand to put their finger on the scanner, don't always respond well to physical touch, and might then launch into a full on melt-down, thus ending their Disney day. Ask any family with an autistic child.

Disney's solution is a step. It's imperfect, but I'm sure there are those who would be outraged. They have on file a permission slip for me and a few others to accompany a child through their gates, and they asked her parent for information regarding the disability which legally they aren't supposed to do. It was a clear violation of the ADA, but I understand them asking for this in an effort to stop ticket fraud. In the absence of photo ID, it seems reasonable to me and to the child's parent. THE EASIEST SOLUTION if you have a child who can't scan their finger is to GET A STATE ID for the child. Then Disney can match the pass to the ID. State ID's are cheap, and if you have a high needs special needs child, it's sure to be handy down the line.

No comments:

Post a Comment